Friday, February 11, 2011

Dear St. Valentine...

Valentine's day. Here again. We set aside a whole day to celebrate Love. If you think you can only show love to someone one day a year, a day designated by a calendar, you have some serious issues that you may want to take up with a counselor. To me, Valentine's day is like a Monday. Something you just have to tolerate and pray you survive. This isn't even one of those holidays you see on the calendar and can just forget about. No. They must advertise it! I can't even go to the thrift store without them advertising a "Valentine's Day Sale. 30% off all women's jewelry!". As far as I'm concerned, Valentine's day is almost as big of a consumerism holiday as Christmas. You all (Haha, who? Only one person reads my blog. *knee slap*) may be thinking that I resent Valentine's day because I have no sweetheart. False. I have always despised Valentine's day. In the fourth grade, during one mandatory class Valentine's day party, everyone received a Valentine from this girl, Spencer. Everyone but me. And the Valentines I did get were filled with those nasty, chalky, heart-shaped candies that have been stamped with cheesy phrases people don't actually mean. Another year, I made my crush a Valentine. While sharpening my pencil later that day, I saw my card amongst the rubbish in the trash can. I think I get it from my parents, this disdain for Valentine's day. They don't celebrate Valentine's day, unless you count not speaking to each other as observance of the holiday of love. I don't know many people who honestly enjoy Valentine's day, because as I said earlier, you should be expressing your love regularly. However, there are a few instances in which Valentine's day can come in mighty handy. Exhibit A: You screwed up big time, but here comes Valentine's day rounding the corner to save the day. Buy her a card and a few roses and you're off the hook, right? Wrong. If anyone were to ever buy me a card (especially with the intentions of making amends), I'd sprinkle some salt on it and make them eat it. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with celebrating it, even if it is for compensation purposes, it just has to be properly done. You can't buy love, right? That being the case, you cannot conceivably buy a representation for said love. Valentine's day should be the day you unleash your inventive side. If you want to go the card route, make it. Come up with the poem yourself. Sadly, few precious few people choose this course (otherwise, Hallmark would cease to exist). And perhaps it's not that I hate Valentine's day, rather the way people approach it. Point is, for all these reasons, I am inclined to inquire as to why the hell we designate a twenty-four hours to this.

Dear St. Valentine, I hate your holiday, and were you alive today, you would die again of shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment